Norwalk’s Teacher Leadership and Compensation System
The Teacher Leadership and Compensation (TLC) System rewards effective teachers with leadership opportunities and higher pay, attracts promising new teachers with competitive starting salaries and more support, and fosters greater collaboration for all teachers to learn from each other.
As an early innovator in Iowa’s Teacher Leadership and Compensation System, Norwalk Schools embraces a culture of continuous improvement through teacher leadership. We believe that improving student learning requires improving instruction each day. Teacher leaders lead the way as we work toward achieving our school improvement goals.
The goals of Norwalk’s Teacher Leadership and Compensation System are:
- To improve student achievement through systemic, comprehensive instructional coaching.
- To establish a professional learning community culture through collaboration and job-embedded professional development in accordance with the Iowa Professional Development Model.
- To ensure that students receive access to the Iowa Core by supporting the development and implementation of a guaranteed and viable curriculum.
- To develop and sustain the capacity of teachers to provide evidence-based instruction within an MTSS framework.
- To expand and increase opportunities for meaningful feedback, support, and collaboration for teachers new to our district through a comprehensive, multi-year mentoring and induction program.
Our TLC Roles
Norwalk’s TLC plan defines more than seventy roles that will create increased teacher leadership opportunities for more than 25% of our teaching staff. While each role serves a differentiated purpose, they are all part of a cohesive instructional improvement plan that is targeted to Norwalk’s specific school improvement goals.