Article Submitted by Brayton Weber & Tereca Weber
Regionals is arguably the biggest meet of the year. Even with the addition of in-season Q-times, most swimmers qualify for State on the day-of Regionals. It’s the culmination of the entire season.
Saturday, Oct. 27, teams across the state raced at six district sites to compete for no more than 32 spots in each event. The Rails had one pre-qualifier, Chloe Marquis in the 100 Fly. On Thursday, Chloe Pearson joined the State team after becoming our regional diving champion. But on Saturday the Rails added an additional 10 entries to the state line-up!
- Cat Dooley – 200 Free Relay, 100 Breaststroke, 400 Free Relay
- Aubrey Douds – Medley Relay, 50 Free, 100 Free, 200 Free Relay
- Torin Lackmann – Medley Relay, 100 Breaststroke
- Chloe Marquis – Medley Relay, 100 Fly, 100 Back, 400 Free Relay
- Chloe Pearson – Diving
- Ellie Sizemore – 500 Free
- Anika Snow – 50 Free, 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay
- Ava Zaugg – Medley Relay, 200 Free Relay, 400 Free Relay
- Lauren Benson
- Grace Crady
- Hannah Groos
The meet started off great with a new school record in the medley relay! From there, the team had 16 podium finishes, two additional regional champion races, another school record and seven new top 5 times set at Regionals (with a few extra set earlier this season).
Below are some highlights from the meet. Congratulations to everyone!
- Medley Relay (Marquis, Lackmann, Zaugg, Douds) set a new school record on 1:50.77 and took 2nd!
- In the 200 Free:
- Ellie Sizemore, 5th (2:06.45)
- Ripley Berg, 6th (2:08.52)
- Grace Crady, 7th (2:10.07)
- In the 200 IM:
- Torin Lackmann swam a PB time of 2:23.61
- Emma Chase swam a PB time of 2:28.31 (-5 seconds!)
- In the 50 Free:
- Aubrey Douds took 2nd with 24.99
- Anika Snow took 3rd with 25.24
- Cat Dooley took 5th with 25.71
- In the 100 Fly:
- Chloe Marquis swam to 3rd in the 100 Fly (1:00.20)
- Ava Zaugg took 5th with 1:02.09
- Lauren Benson took 7th with a 1:03.18 (-2+ seconds!)
- In the 100 Free:
- Aubrey Douds broke the school record! 53.92 and 1st place.
- Anika Snow took 6th place with 56.97
- Ripley Berg dropped a second in the 100 Free to 58.57
- In the 500 Free:
- Ellie Sizemore took 4th with a 5:32.56
- Grace Crady swam a season-best 5:46.02
- Courtney Meyer swam a PB time – 6:03.47 (-8 seconds!)
- 200 Free Relay (Snow, Zaugg, Dooley, Douds) was regional champions with 1:41.27
- In the 100 Back:
- Chloe Marquis swam to 3rd place in 1:00.85
- Kalani Mangin swam to a PB 1:04.24
- Hannah Groos swam a PB time 1:04.36
- In the 100 Breaststroke:
- Torin Lackmann took 3rd with a PB time of 1:09.44
- Cat Dooley took 6th with 1:10.99
- Emma Chase swam a PB time of 1:16.69 (-3 seconds!)
- 400 Free Relay (Zaugg, Dooley, Marquis, Snow) raced to 5th with their time of 3:49.16
Congrats Rails State qualifiers! – Dooley (200 FRR, 100 BR, 400 FRR) – Douds (MR, 50 F, 100 F, 200 FRR) – Lackmann (MR, 100 BR) – Marquis (MR, 100 Fly, 100 BK, 400 FRR) – Pearson (Diving) – Sizemore (500 F) – Snow (50 F, 200 FRR, 400 FRR) – Zaugg (MR, 200 FRR, 400 FRR) + 3 altns. (Boldened students are Norwalk students)
Congratulations to Norwalk Girls Swimmers for their outstanding performance at the Regional Swim Meet on Saturday in Fort Dodge. The Lincoln-Norwalk swim team took 2ndoverall at the regional and qualified 11 girls to the State Meet this weekend in Marshalltown. Norwalk Swimmers Chloe Marquis, Torin Lackmann, Ellie Sizemore, Hannah Groos, and Grace Crady all get one more week to prepare for State, good luck ladies!